Re: TI-H: Ti 81 Link? huh?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Ti 81 Link? huh?

>I was just wondering if there was anything other than turboing that you
>could do to a TI 81? Such as a link or something?
>
>Matthew Andersen wrote:
>
>> I opened up a 81 tonight (just now in fact) and noticed that there
was
>> three contacts like on the 85 for what looks like a link what is
it... i
>> know there is n't an alpha link thing on the 81 but is this a ti plan
>> for the 82 or what... just wondering....
>>
>> MAndersen@dhvx20.csudh.edu

Hey, is this a new TI-81 or an old one, preferably what year did you buy
it? Some new TI-81s use a different form of battery backup. I believe it
is actualy a backup capacitor. The backup battery is replaced with a
plastic cover. I knew there were diferent TI-81 models, so some may be
based on the TI-85 with a TI 81 screen and ROM, plus a few
modifications. I spend a ton of time last night trying to fix Austin
Butlers TI-85 and it had a wierd mainboard. It had a notch about 1/2
inch deep and 3/4 inch wide (~1x1.5 cm) and thre are 3 contacts. The
three contacts connect to a short ribbon cable that leads to another
tiny board with just a link connector attached. Send me a photo of your
TI-81 and I'll scan and post it. I can see if there is a possibility of
it being an 85 board with an 81 screen and ROM. It is possible that,
since the 85 is a DIRECT decendant of the 81, that TI may have used
TI-85 boards (or ones similar) for the TI-81. I won't say I'm sure, but
it's a possibility. Comodore used to modify older model drive and
computer boards with newr ROM to save money in production. TI may have
done this for a very short time, probably when the 85 was new and didn't
have a set board design. I need to ask Austin Butler what year he bought
his calc. If they were purchased in the same year, that wpuld be a good
indication that TI had at one time done this! Can you imagine if a TI-81
to 85 upgrade were possible! TI-81 ASM possibly!

Don't chew me out over this. I know that the ROM would need replacing,
but if it were possible, you could possibly do alot more!

Richard Piotter

e-mail: richfiles@hotmail.com

home page: <A
HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html">The