Re: TI-H: New TI

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: New TI

Alexis wrote:

> They could also use a Mips or Alpha CPU, but no less than 500 mhz in that
> case... And the calc should have a separate fpu too...

The problem with those is that they run hot and are very expensive.  I
beleive Alpha's don't come for less than $1000 apeice, even in bulk.
And even if the calc DID have an Alpha, a separate FPU would slow it
down.  There is no standalone FPU chip that can come close to matching
the Alpha's FPU, which, as I recall, scored about 27 on the SpecFP95
tests.  Integrated FPUs can interface faster with the main processor
than separate ones can, because the separate ones have to deal with the
bus, which typically runs at a quarter of the processor speed or less,
when you get up that high.

The original person who suggested the StrongARM was being serious.  It
is powerful, cheap, and economic.  Maybe not as cheap as the Z80, but
hey, we're talking about calcs running 30+ times as fast!  The rest of
you, who say things similar to the message quoted above, are being
sarcastic, I think.  An Alpha would never run in a calculator!  Alpha's
are power-hungry, and need a lot of room to run, because of the heat
they generate.  Cray supercomputers, which use Alphas, often have
liquid-based cooling systems equivalent to the radiator on an
internal-combustion engine.

Um, ok, bye now.

--
Jake Robb