Re: TI-H: Re: New expander

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Re: New expander

Jeff Dezur wrote:
> What would happen if someone made a new expander, that used 7 chips, instead of
> one, since you can have up to 7 different chips(addresses) on the bus of the
> calc. I know that with the temp sensor, you can have up to 7 different
> sensors(different addresses), a
> nd we could just change those sensors (and schematics) to the EEPROM chips, and
> then we could have a (hopefully) new , inexpensive expander!
>
> I am just thinking, so, don't flame me because I might not know what I'm
> talking about.

No you certainly don't know what you're talking about.

In the old I2C specifications there's room for 128 devices on the bus. The
7 chip limit is specific to the temp sensor chip, not the bus. There's no
point in changing temp sensor chips to EEPROM chips, they're connected
differently and to different components, they simply don't work similarly.
This isn't the whole truth, though, because chips connect to the I2C bus in
the same way. But there's nothing in the temp sensor plans that could be of
much use in designing a new expander.

-Ozone

--
*** Osma Suominen *** ozone@clinet.fi *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone ***