Re: TI-H: packet radio

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: packet radio

At 01:28 PM 10/3/97 -0400, Mike Roberts wrote:
>Thinking about the every elusive wireless transfer for calcs, I remembered
>packet radio from Ham Radio. It allows connection (up to 9600 buad I
>believe) over realivly long distances (130-50 miles) using not much power on
>the 2m FM band. Maybe we could adapt packet radio TNC (a TNC goes between
>the radio and terminal) for use on another, non ham band at a much lower
>power. Just a thought.

	Ummm. Not gonna work.  The TNC's use RS-232 as a protocol between it and
the computer, so unless you are using Zterm and a link cable no
communication is going to take place.   Also, there's too much work in
adapting the firmware to accomodate a TI-8X.  To top it off, you would need
two radios running in full duplex mode, seeing as the TI cannot stop and
wait for the unit to finish sending.  Standard TNC units are about 90
dollars.  9600 baud TNC units are US $150+.  Not worth it, IMHO, too much
hardware in this case for a solution.  Direct modulation using the data
stream would be worth a shot.

Regards,

J. Bender

Joseph C. Bender, 	N8XRE          |  AX.25:  N8XRE@WB8SWF.#SEMI.MI.USA.NA
mailto:  aa807@detroit.freenet.org |  PGP MAIL ENABLED/PREFERRED
ICQ UIN:  398486                          |  Key at keyserv or
mailto:jcbpgp@mutiny.net
Personal Page:  <http://www.mutiny.net/personal/jcbender>
antispam:  admin@localhost 	postmaster@localhost    root@[127.0.0.1]
{Jesus saves!  But Yzerman SCOOOORES on the rebound!}