Re: TI-H: EL technology

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: EL technology

At 10:35 AM 10/3/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Unless I am misinformed, the electroluminescent effect is generated by the
>AC power used in the panel. This leads to the conclusion that Indiglo
>panels do not run from dc voltage. There is an inverter inside the watch
>which generates ac at a high voltage and low current. A similar inverter
>would be used to run an EL backlight in a calculator, except that the
>inverter would be physically larger because of the larger current draw
>from a larger EL panel.
>
>As for a source for the EL panels, they're usually sold attached to an LCD
>panel. The EL nightlight is the only way I know of to get an EL panel
>without an LCD to accompany it.
>
>--
>Greg Hill
>greg-hill@bigfoot.com
>www.comports.com/link

:x--------------------  SNIP  -------------------x:

You are correct in that ELs are AC, and require high voltages. Most of the
drivers/inverters usually run off 2.4V - 9V and output to the EL around 90V
and in some cases 250V. They also come in quite a few colors. You can also
buy just EL panels, even have them cut to the correct size and all. I
didn't check on any prices, but here are a cpl of links for starters. I ran
across some of this a while ago when I bought my watch with Indiglo.
Thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.dupont.com/mcm/applic/backligt.html    Any size and shape..

http://www.sipex.com/elproduct.html     Drivers/Inverters for ELs

Hope this helps..

Leif

- zldgregory@biogate.com
    Dedicated to providing you with more
    information than you needed to know.

    To email me, remove the z in my address  -