TI-H: Backlight

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Backlight

Hi!

I want to post it, but time and work have prevented me from even
updating the battery expander page. I took a Sharp LM64P something
backlit monochrome LCD apart. It is 640x480 pixsels, and the
diffratction panel is really good. Lights the whole screen if cut right!
I don't guarantee your screen will work WELL with it, but I do guarantee
it will light it up. The screen lights fine. The problem comes in with
some newer screens (maybe it's newer screens, but I'm not sure). The
problem is that to properly install the backlight, you need to cut the
rubber that holds the screen off and then peel the mirror off. You put
the mirror on the back (rough) side of the difractor and put a diffuser
on top, then the LCD. The problem is that some screens use the mirror
and polarizer at a different angle, and it isn't compatible with the
diffuser. It dimms the pixels and darkens the background. It isn't bad
on some calcs, but it gets fairly annoying on others. Austin butler had
a "dim" calc, but he got it and said it took a while to get used to, but
that it wasn't too bad. All I can say is you can try. The problem is it
it is a dim one and you decide not to do it, it is nearly impossible to
put the mirror back on without looking VERY strange. It will have air
bubles and dust, no mater how you replace it. If you like you can try
with just the corner, but my experience shows that if the mirror is a
piece of thick plastic and the one that doesn't work as well (It works,
just dimmer pixels when the light is off) is a very flexible piece of
plastic foil. You'll know by pulling the corner off. If it is thick, go
for it. if it is thin, you may want to think about it. Try it if you get
a panel. I charge $40 for the whole job (it has to cover the cost of the
LCD panel I took apart). I got it from ALL electronics, but they
nolonger sell it, so it is kindof my last priority. I have enough for 4
calcs, and will need 2 or three for myself, so you, austin, and I could
end up being the only person with these backlights unless someone had
the misfortune of ordering the wrong LCD or thinking they could use it,
but couldn't. I was on an LCD list before, so maybe I can purchase some.
It would be best to find a black ON white backlit screen. It would look
better, but I havn't found one yet.

If you want it done, I can do it for you. I could send the piece (fit it
to my 82 first) but It is difficult and requires patience. I have taken
over half an hour just cutting the screen off, cause you obviously can't
crack it, and you can't cut those plastic ribbon wires. Tell me what you
want to do. I'll do my TI-82 before I do your TI-82, just to see if it
works well!

Respond soon!

Richard Piotter

E-Mail: