Re: TI-H: Scanning Sonar

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Scanning Sonar

Cool! I was doing someting like this last year but I never actually
built the hardware because I didn't have a TI at that time. I was going
to use my PC, but I couldn't program the graphics in C or Pascal so I
quit... anyway, my idea was kinda similar to yours. here it is:

---
1. calibrate period (especially necessary with TI's) by putting an
object in front of the sonar and allowing it to turn, detecting the
object twice and timing that.

2. calibrate speed of sound (changes w/temp)

3. Now on the calcs' screen, there is a rotating arm. From step 1, its'
position is set to always match that of the sonar. The sonar normally
will get no response until there is something in the way (and in range).
It will send a signal to the calc whenever it sends a pulse, resetting
the calcs' timer each time. If it receives an echo pulse it will send a
different signal to the calc. The calc will, at the current location of
the rotating arm on the screen, place a dot in correspondence with the
time elapsed between sending the pulsse and receiving an echo.

Maybe something like a PIC will be needed to to the timings?
---

Or maybe I am just overcomplicating a simpler thing? Is it meant to be
like radar or is it meant for to tell the distance between an object and
the itself?

Mj