Re: TI-H: 92 acceleration question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Wes Mininger wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Bryan Christopher Turner wrote:
>
> :On Nov 19,  1:05am, Wes Mininger wrote:
> :> Subject: TI-H: 92 acceleration question
> :> ok, I have a switch accelerating my 92, and this is the problem.  I have
> :> an 8pf cap in parallel with 3 caps adding to a total of 47pf (the same as
> :> the original cap) I can switch between both of these just fine, but the
> :> 47pf side doesnt slow it down to what it was before, so, are 3 caps adding
> :> up to 47, not 47pf? they are connected in series, so it shouldnt be that
> :> bad...  for example, integrating 1/(x^7+1) (it gives the same thing back
> :> because it cant find the answer) takes 1 minute 30 secs with the turbo
> :> switched on, and 1'45" with it off... ive tried running stuff to check
> :> that maybe it wasnt just that equation or whatever, but it stays turboed,
> :> but not quite as much as with the 8pf cap only... any ideas anyone?
> :>
> :
> :   Well, an EE will have to back me up on this, but capacitors are the reverse
> :of resistors, so if adding resistors in series adds up their resistance, then
> :adding capacitors in series adds their capacitance in the following way:
> :            1
> : --------------------------
> :  1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/CN
> :
> :Putting the capacitors in parallel would add their capacetance C1 + C2 + C3..
> :
> :   Soooo.. you'll need a set of capacitors setup in a way to flip from 8pf to
> :47pf, what you seem to have is a set switching from 8pf to 10-12pf (probably
> :because of the series attaching instead of the parallel attaching).  This would
> :make sense if you were attaching a 30pf and a 15pf (common values) in series..
> :
> :
> :   Your message is confusing since it says that you have your caps set up BOTH
> :as series and parallel.  Be sure which it is, and draw out a diagram of how the
> :wires and caps and switch are connected to check.
> :
> :--Bryan
> :bcturner@eos.ncsu.edu
> :
> here is a diagram making it a little more clear.  the middle pole on the
> switch is the commonpole, and the current should be routed thru either the
> 8pf cap or the other 3 caps connected in parallel.  so, should the 22,16,7
> caps be connected in series to each other to actually add to 47pf?
>
>            switch
>          8pf |   22pf \
>          |   |   16pf  - total (or so I thought) of 47 in series
> [...]

	Those three caps youv'e got in a series actually add up to
3.98pf...  What you need to do is hook them paralel...  Take the three
leads on one side and solder them all together then take the 3 leads on
the other and solder them together...  Sorta a super-capacitor..  That
will add up to 47pf....

Pellaeon
gramps@wf.net