Re: TI-H: Copyrighting things...the mistakes we've made

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ryan pogge wrote:

> this is a hardware list, shut up.
> you must pay for a fucking copyright.
> no more discusion on this till someone purchases a copyright

	As this is a hardware list I see no reason for obscenities.  Also I
have not noticed your name among the various people you have put this
hardware list together or anyone for that matter in charge at
ticalc.org.  As this is, I do not see how you are in a position to tell
me what I can and can not do on this discussion group.  Futhermore
although indirectly this does pertain to hardware.  As for your comment
reguarding that a person must pay for a copyright, Title 17 of the
United States code Section 401 subsection d states "If a notice of
copyright in the form and position specified by this section appears on
the published copy or copies to which a defendant in a copyright
infringement suit had access, then no weight shall be given to such a
defendant's interposition of a defense based on innocent infringement in
mitigation of actual or statutory damages, except as provided in the
last sentence of section 504(c)(2)."  The copyright notice is entirely
free.  It simply states:
Copyright (c) <year in which publication is made>,<Name of person to
whom copyright belongs>
The subsection I have quoted above states that if someone were to use
your work and the copyright notice were on the work, he or she could not
use a defense of innocent infringement.  Section 504 (c) (2) just states
that if the defendent were a non-profit organization it can be found not
to pay actual or statutory damages.  I hope this clears most questions
on copyrighting.  Now as for you Ryan I strongly suggest you look at the
facts before you open your mouth again.  It is better to be quiet and be
thought of a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Pellaeon
gramps@wf.net