Re: TI-H: The IR Link is complete.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sami Khawam wrote:
>> Please, oh please, add a direct-state-transfer mode so it will support
>> other protocols than the TI protocol, including I2C. If that is done, I
>> think your IR link will meet almost all of the criteria I suggested a while
>> ago. It should be possible to do this completely in the firmware (the PIC
>> code), maybe by adding one more switch to select this mode. I mean a mode
>> where the current states of the link port are sent, either at constant
>> intervals or when a change of state is sensed by the PIC. The IR link
>> should emulate the link cable.

> I could be easily added, but I don't think it will be useful...
> The programs that are using other protocols are doing this for
> speed reasons, and such a mode in the link will be slow.

Nope, not all of them. I2C, which I'm a fan of :) can be used to connect
more than two calculators together in a network. It's not very fast, but it
can be used w.g. for group chatting and multiplayer games. And imagine how
great an IR network would be :)

The speed of my I2C routines can be adjusted, so even if the link isn't
very fast, they'll work. You don't need very fast speeds in a group chat or
in a well-programmed TI multiplayer game.

So, please add such a mode. If it's easy, then why not go for it? I know
I2C isn't yet very popular, but I think it will be in the future. I'll soon
release version 1.0 of my MultiMaster I2C routines, and I expect at least a
few applications to show up soon after that.

-Ozone

--
*** Osma Suominen *** ozone@clinet.fi *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone ***

Follow-Ups: References: