Re: TI-H: ADB Mouse

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: ADB Mouse

>No.  I don't think you use a Mac.

NOT use a MACINTOSH! Right I never use my PowerBook 1400cs or my
Performa 550/CD. I have a PC and got SOFTWINDOWS 4.0 to emulate it on my
Mac! At least it runs on a Mac.

>Macintosh mouses don't have any driver
>chips at all.  Macintoshes have smart firmware that can recognize a
mouse
>or keyboard and install the generic driver.

That isnt all as acurate as you think. ALL Macintosh Keyboards & Mice
have an ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) interface chip. That chip converts the
key or movement data to a simple protocol that is read by the computer's
ADB chip. The toolbox can get that data simply and easily and run it
through the Tool Box's generic driver.

For special mouses, drivers
>can be written that use the Took Box (Rom routines) to make a driver.

Duh! but they still use an ADB chip, cause Mac mice/keyboards don't plug
in to the serial communications port(s).

>Mac
>mice are just like IBM mice, but Macs were made to use them.  IBM mice
>ccann be modified to work on macintoshes easily.

Right! Sure they Are. I KNOW THAT. The hardware is pretty well the same,
but NO PC MOUSE HAS AN ADB CHIP. It therefore wasn't designed for the
ADB port. Even if you plug it into the serial port and write a driver
for it, it will fail the first time you start without extensions on. The
only way to fix that would be to go deep into the wonderful world of
programming and create a replacement for that generic driver that would
somehow be called on startup when the drve boots up or maybe mess with
the system file.

The ALPS GlidePoint has a custom ADB chip, like most joysticks and
nonstandard mice, but it EMULATES the data output of a standard ADB
Macintosh Mouse, so it works with the generic driver. I was asking if
the PC serial version of the ALPS glide point could emulate the common
Microsoft Mouse Driver. If so, someone may be able to look at that & see
how it works and create an AVR or PIC that would either interface to the
PC Serial or the Macintosh ADB.

The ALPS GlidePoint for Mac is only $10 through Mac Mall. They even give
them away for free with certian bundles. If someone knew how to work
with the PC Serial version, then it could probably even connect via the
graphlink. An AVR would be best though, because I believe we would want
to access it's internal data and find the x,y coordinates of the point
of contact rather than movement (or read either. Thatway some programs
could use it to guide movement and others would react to the EXACT
position of the finger on it's surface (we would need to leave some room
on the edges unused to get the full screen because you can't tough all
the way to the edge).).

Richard Piotter

E-Mail:
richfiles1@hotmail.com