Re: TI-H: Expander, etc.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Expander, etc.

JUSTIN BOSCH wrote:

> What I meant was why not use lithium batteries for the expander-type
> devices and use normal memory chips.  The TI uses ONE lithium battery
> that powers the RAM probably 90% of the time (more or less depending on
> your calc usage).  I've never bought that battery (my mom has), but it's

Nope. The lithium battery only powers the RAM array when the main
batteries
are out of the calculator. This is like maybe a total of 30 minutes each
year - And RAM draws next to nothing for power. So there is no way in
hell
I could power the entire Extender uP with a lithium battery.

> eould be able to write to it infinite times because it's not flash RAM.

As I said before, you are all far too paranoid about flash EEPROMs
breaking.
Mel Tsai was exactly right - You can get years or even decades of use
out
of serial EEPROMs (especially the Atmel ones) even if you write to them
50 times a day.

BTW, the Extender uP is not going as quickly as I thought it would. I
will
probably not have a working unit done by the time we go on our family
vacation.
I will be gone from sunday to friday. I hope I can get it working before
school
starts...

Bryan Rittmeyer
bryanr@flash.net