Re: TI-H: I need help with software for an 8-bit sound cart!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Richard Piotter wrote:

> I need help!!! I designed an 8-bit sound cart, but I don't know assembly
> language. I need help from
> someone who has plenty of knowledge with ports and interfacing. I
> believe that Microwire is
> compatible with the TI calculators (I may be wrong, but isn't Microwire
> what the Expander SF chip
> uses?). The chip being used is the MAX550B, Low power, +2.5v to +5.5v,
> 8-bit voltage output
> DAC and it utilizes the microwire serial interface. I will have a

I don't know if it matters, but an alternate solution to produce 8 bit
sound
is to connect a PCF8574 8-bit I2C expander to the calc and then either a
"Covox" style resistor network or a real 8-bit DAC to that chip. I have
both the PCF and a homemade Covox, so I might test that some day.

It would be best to have one 8-bit sound standard. I don't know anything
about Microwire or your chip, so I can't say which solution is better,
but one of them should be trashed so we don't have competing standards,
we don't need them in this kind of a restricted environment...

Remember though, that you can produce at least 2-bit sound with the bare
link port, do we really need 8 bits?

(I saw a .ZIP packet on ticalc.org that advertizes 4-bit sound...wonder
how that works. I haven't got time and interest to check that out,
though...)

-Ozone

--
*** Osma Suominen *** ozone@clinet.fi *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone