Re: TI-H: External SPinterface

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: External SPinterface

>To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 18:19:54 -0400
>Subject: TI-H: External SPinterface
>From: spelljammer1@juno.com (Matrix X Phantom)
>
>I REALLY wanted the SPinterface on my TI-82 but I REALLY didn't want to
>screw with the insides.  I decided to make an external version going
>through the link port.  Since it just runs off the link port anyway why
>couldn't somebody make and external.  I found a 78L05 (I read the
message
>about the low battery power thing) but didn't want to wire it into the
>82's battery supply.  I figured there was enough space inside the
project
>box I was using for an 9 volt and decided to go with that plan.  I am
>planning to start building tomorrow (the 17th) if there are any reasons
>would screw up I would love to hear them.  Well, actually I wouldn't
>because then my idea would be shot but I'd rather find out the easy
way.

>If anyone screws around with PC hardware and has a good number of spare
>parts lying around you might be able to fine a serial port than fits
onto
>a on board IDE and serial port to a motherboard or most IDE or EIDE
>cards.  They use the 2x5 rows of pins and can be used to make a
>SPinterface.  If you use a 25 pin port you can then use it to make a
>parallel link.
>
>P.S. I found the small RENEWAL charger for $10 at Wal-Mart, $6 with the
>coupon that came with my 82.
>

>Matrix
>
>|||END TRANS|||

Awesome! I have a design for the same thing! I think that it's a great
idea, but some carts/cables may use the full battery power in the
future. By connecting to the battery + and Gnd pins instead of 5v+ and
Gnd, you get full battery power. I'm not sure what a 9v would do (It's
probably OK, but follow caution when using The SPinTerface "jumper
cable" or devices that require full power. There aren't many yet, but
there could be.)

Go ahead and build it. I reall don't feel that a 9v battery will hurt
full power devices, but see if 4 AAs aren't possible. If there is no way
to fit it into the project case, don't even bother to get a different
one. It's good enough. The 9v will actualy be better for the voltage
regulator!

Your idea is great. Go for it. I don't blame you for being reluctant to
open a calc.

Good luck!!!

Richard Piotter

e-mail: richfiles@hotmail.com