Re: TI-H: An idea for separate game carts.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Christopher Kalos wrote:

> >Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 21:49:55 +0000
> >From: Osma Suominen <ozone@clinet.fi>
> >To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
> >Subject: Re: TI-H: An idea for separate game carts.
> >
> >Kevin Buck wrote:
> >>
> >> I was reading on Richfiles, underProgramming tips and Tricks, and he
> >> brought up how The GAMEBOY, and other hand held video Gaming devices
> >> (other than TI-Calcs) use assembly languages on their game carts.
> Would
> >> it be possible for someone to develop A type of chip, or chips that
> >> could be used primarily for a single lone game, and I mean an awesome
> >> game.  Then put it into the Spinterface cart, and then make a special
> >> interrupt driven _shell_, or whatever that is completely ZShell
> >> compatible, yet when you plug the game cart into the Spinterface
> port,
> >> then turn the power on, you would then be running the cart.  So, this
> >> _shell_, upon turning on the calc, runs a test on the Spinterface
> port,
> >> that sees if anything is connected, if not, starts up normally, if
> so,
> >> directly runs the game on the cart.  Does any of this sound feasible
> at
> >> all?
> >
> >Well, not really (sorry to say). The problem is that handheld video
> game
> >devices each have their own design with their own processors and other
> >hardware. Even if a gaming device used the Z80 (the processor of TI-85
> >and others) as its processor, so the language would be the same, the
> ROM
> >code, display hardware etc. would differ so the games wouldn't work.
> >
> >-Ozone
> >
> >--
> >*** Osma Suominen *** ozone@clinet.fi *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone
> >***
> >

> I think you misinterpreted there.  I think what he meant was to put on a
> TI specific program onto a chip, and have it run as a game.  With the
> proper microcontroller, this shouldn't be a problem at all.  However,
> the auto-boot would have to be a part of the OS, much like Aurora83
> (that's what I'm using) auto-detects programs, have the OS check the
> port, get a proper game header, and then load up chunks and start
> executing.  A great idea, but a lot of work to program and design,
> probably.
>
> Christopher Kalos
> Raptor_One@hotmail.com
> RaptorOne@juno.com
> RaptorOne@geocities.com
> Executive Director
> Virtual Technology Development

Thank you Chris, that is what I meant...  Well, it was just an idea, so
what can I say.  I knew from the beginning that it would be difficult to
make them on the chips etc.  And the protocol, would be large, and take
up a lot of The calcs mem w/in the shell.  But, just another one of
those crazy ideas floating around in my head...
--

				    Sincerely,
				    Kevin

And always remember to shoot for the moon, because
even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars!

     ***********************************
     **         My E-mail address:    **
     **           elbo@usa.net        **
     **              Homepage:              **
     **   http://www.geocities.com/~kelbo   **
     ** One more thing, go to the following link to vote for the   **
     **       page logo for a game a few guys are making:          **
     ** http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/8557/vote.htm **