Re: TI-H: Extender uP for SPinTerface

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Richard Piotter wrote:

> The Extender uP looks like a great idea. I was just at your page and it
> looks like it's comming allong well. I know there's room for the two
> chips in the cartridge, but it's the other things that might be a
> problem. Still I'd rather have a slightly thicker cart than have to mess

Well, the Atmel dataflash is availible in a 28 pin SOP (SOIC?) format..
which is extremely tiny. The PLCC chips are a bit bigger since they
require sockets... but I/we could use the SOP format and ditch the PLCC.
The problem comes with the PIC16F84. The PIC itself
is availible in a SOP (SOIC?) format... but my programmer has an 18
pin gold machine socket and I would need to make a converter of some
sort to allow me to burn the SOP parts. It wouldn't be too hard... and
an 18 pin SOP chip and a 28 pin SOP chip could CERTAINLY fit in the
footprint of a 9V battery, and be maybe 1/8" high. The diodes and
resistors, if I used SMT parts, wouldn't be too big either. But I'll
worry about that later, the last thing I want to do is spend an hour
checking the prototype for solder bridges between the tiny SOP chips'
pins. ;-)

A lot of people are interested in an internal Ex*er... and the
SPinTerface looks very slick, so perhaps you'd be interested in building
Extender uPs inside of peoples' calcs for them? I'm still not sure if
I'm going to be building finished units, since there are some hassles
involved with that... so if you'd like to build SPinTerface cartridges
inside of peoples' calcs using PICs that I could burn for you, that
would be great. E-Mail me back if you're interested.

BTW, last night I got the status byte read out of the Atmel chip,
through
the PIC and into the calc. It won't be long before I have the calc
reading files, and not status bytes. :-)

Regards,

Bryan Rittmeyer
bryanr@flash.net