Re: TI-H: Power supply fot TI

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Power supply fot TI

>From: "Dave Bednar" <dbednar@neptunenet.com>
>To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 01:09:53 +0000
>Subject: Re: TI-H: Power supply fot TI
>
>> I'm pretty sure that this will work with a 92. Try a 4.5 volt pack
and
>> if it isn't enough then go with a 5 or a 6 volt pack. The AAA
batteries
>> in TI-8x calcs produces less power than the AAs of the 92.
>
>   I keep seeing you say that the AA batteries give 'more power' than
>AAA batteries.  Both of these provide 1.5 volts each, with the AA
>lasting longer.  Here's an idea though:
>
>Since the batteries lose voltage as they wear down, and bigger
>batteries take longer to wear down, and the calculators seam to work
>slower at lower voltages, the bigger batteries you could connect to
>it (i.e., D, or maybe a lantern battery :)  would make it run better
>longer.
>
>Of course, I still want to build an AC adapter to get a full 6 volts
>all the time.
>---
>  Dave Bednar
>  Get the cookie file
>  http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/8770/cookies.txt

AA and AAA batteries as well as C and D all produce 1.5 volts, however,
the batteries quickly go down to 1.2 or 1.3 volts. Also the larger
batteries produce more current. If you use a higher current, the calc
screen gets darker. The problem with power packs is that the current is
far higher than any AAA or AA battery. The result is a screen so dark
that contrast setting 1 looks like 9. If you use a lower voltage, the
power supply probably uses that extra current, converting it to an
adequate voltage. I've tried it. You can try it yourself if you like.

I also have built a battery expander that plugs into the battery case
and lets you run AA batteries in place of AAAs. This prolongs runtime of
the calc and if you install a SPinTerface port and use Memory carts or
amplified speaker carts, the extra power will help alot!

Hope I helped!

Richard Piotter

e-mail: richfiles@hotmail.com

home page: <A