Re: TI-H: SPinTerface

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: SPinTerface

>One question, what is a SPinTerface? I have never heard of it.

Sorry, should have told in my mail first time.

A SPinTerface port is an extention of the serial link port and the
batteries and stuff. SPinTerface is short for Serial/Powered Interface.
I shortened the name into a single word though. Basicly, it's a 10-pin
port that has a 5v regulated power supply with auto shutdown (when you
remove cartridges) and the three pins of the link port. I create tiny
cartridges without any power circuits or power supply that plug into it.
The carts get power from a 5v voltage regulator connected to the
calculator's batteries. I have created SF Expander cartridges (based on
Mel Tsai's Expander). They hold 512K or a Megabyte just like his, but
they're only 1.5 inches long, almost an inch wide and 1/8 of an inch
thick (thin as a GameBoy cart, but half as wide and not as long). The
power is turned on simply by plugging in the carts, and if they need it,
they can still get the full 6v battery power through the activation
pins. You can create speaker carts with a tiny amplifier powered by the
calc. If someone makes an IR link, it could be made into a cart, even a
modem, if made could be adapted to fit into a SPinTerface cart (it would
be larger though, maybe have a ribbon cable with the plug at the end).
The main advantage it that the power source is provided making the
projects you build cheaper and smaller. You also don't need to cut your
link port cable or buy an extra one from TI for <i>how</I> much!!! The
10-pin male connector (used on the cart) can be made from 2 row PC mount
ribbon cable headers (2 rows of 5. They can be cut too). Even your
connector becomes cheaper!!! The instructions for assembly are on my web
page and I also have a battery expander that allows you to use AA
batteries in the TI8x calcs instead of AAAs. The advantage to this is
that the AA batteries are sometimes cheaper than AAAs and they seem to
have far more power than AAAs. If you do a lot of stuff involving the
link port, and you need to do prototyping, this may also be a good
extention to the calc, since you get a power supply and the link pins,
all provided for you. you could even have a breadboard with a
SPinTerface cable attaced so you can expiriment, I do! It's easier than
using a link cable and powerpack. If you need other voltages, you can
have tiny regulators or charge pumps inside the cart. You still don't
need to carry around an extra set of bateries!

It's easy to build and you don't even get near the "sensitive" area of
the main board. There are only 5 connections to the main board, and they
are all at the battery posts and the link port jack.

If you need more info, check out my web page or ask me.

Richard Piotter

e-mail: richfiles@hotmail.com

home page: <A
HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html">The