Re: TI-H: Backlighting

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Backlighting

> The most promising thing that I have found is a small light (about 2" wide x
> 2" high x 1/4" thick).  It is called LimeLite(Tm) or something like that and
> can be found at many general purpose and hardware stores.  They are kinda
> pricey (about $10 US) but seem to be just the right size for a TI-92 screen.
> They use a similar-looking-and-acting device as an Indiglo watch light and
> glow a soft blue-green.  The small module plugs directly into the wall
> (120v) and uses 70mw.  I'm sure that this could easily be adapted for use
> with 6v as the LimeLite probably has a resistor  built in and really doesn't
> care how many volts it receives.
>                         Just an idea,
>                         BlakLite
>
> P.S. You can order them from Damark (1-800-729-9000) with the part number
> B-8850-418353 (2 for $20) or B-8850-418360 (4 for $30) no shipping and
> handling charges.

Actually, this might use the AC to produce the light.  From what I
have read, electroluminescent backlights require AC, and at a high
voltage (in the hundreds or maybe thousands of volts).  Many devices
equipped with backlights have an inverter to produce this voltage.  I
think Mouser or Digikey sold a backlight a while back, and it
required another board to produce this voltage.  But I don't know how
Indiglo works.  It is probably different, as I don't think they could
fit an inverter into a little watch.  Anyway, I just though I'd let
you know of a possible problem.

Ben
shakal@ns.net