Re: TI-H: Re: LZ: Backlighting

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Re: LZ: Backlighting

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996 07:56:15 -0600, Tobin Fricke wrote:
> Tell me if you ever see a white LED.  LED's are semiconductors that emit
> almost monochromatic light.  They would have to emit all frequencies of
> visible light to make white light.  So, for now at least, white LEDs do
> not exist.  Blue LEDs exist, but they are new and relatively expensive.
>
> Tobin Fricke

Digi-Key sells a four chip LED from Cree. It has two blue chips, one
red and one green. If you put the correct amount of current into the
LED, it can create any color light, including white. They are rather
expensive, at around $4 apiece. Green LEDs work well for lights too. I
tried positioning a grid of about 5 green LEDs over my TI-92, just to
see if they would look alright, and they were fine.

-Tim
                                               __
                                              /_/\
 Tim Gerla - timg@climax.polaristel.net      / /\ \
                                            / /\ \ \
      Tyball Dragon -==(UDIC)==-           / / /\ \ \
            Tyball@irc                    / / /  \ \ \
www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/1691/ /_/____\ \ \
 TI-92, HTML, Links, POV-Ray, Fractint! /_/________\_\/\