TI-H: Upgrading the CPU in TI92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Upgrading the CPU in TI92

I've been following the conversation about upgrading the CPU in TI-92.
Replacing the CPU with a 68020 sounds very nice but how exactly can this
be accomplished?

Both the 68000 and the 68020 work in 32 bits internally but to the best
of my knowledge the widths of the buses are different. If I'm right the
68000 uses a 16-bit data bus and a 24-bit address bus while the 68020 uses
32-bit data and 32-bit address buses. 68EC020 has 24-bit address bus but
the data bus is still 32-bit.

If this is correct wouldn't it be impossible to simply replace the CPU?
You would have to build a special board that includes a 020, some memory
for it and find a way to connect it to the 68000 so that it could act as
a kind of a turbocard.

The 68010 however is almost the same as the 68000 and could easily be
used to replace the existing CPU if only you could find a version with
the same type of casing and pin configuration. This would hardly be worth
the effort since to my knowledge the 68010 is almost as slow as the 68000.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the best way to
accelerate the TI-92 would be to overclock it. I believe that replacing
the CPU is impossible due to the conflicts in the bus widths.

------
Toni "Panadol" Kettula
reijok@kontu.bbs.fi