TI-H: Fargo Fterm

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Fargo Fterm

Read this message posted on the Fargo mail list:

How to connect the TI92 with a server via modem:

I used a 14.4 K pocket modem (Sitre Telecom, microV32B).
It has a 9-pin female connector.
I used the grey cable (stereo jack -- 25-pin female connector), and
a self-made cable (25-pin male -- 9-pin male):
(the function of the pin is from the modem manual)

  9-pin -- 25-pin
CD  1  ------- 8
RD  2  ------- 2
TD  3  ------- 3
DTR 4  ------- 20
GND 5  ------- 7
DSR 6  ------- 6
RTS 7  ------- 4
CTS 8  ------- 5
RNG 9  ------- 22

After setting the hardware, start the program fterm
and write

ate0         (this is to put the echo off)
at&k4        (XON/XOFF)
atdt4017000  (use the adequate phone number  of your servers)

after a while it appears

CONNECT 96000

(both modems agree with this speed)
and starts a normal session (login:..  password:....)
that enables me to access via telnet my usual machines
and read my e-mail (with a lot of difficulties) using ean.

Problems:
The buffer of fterm gets filled very quickly and fterm
 does not respond.
solution:
 <diamond>q  (to quit fterm) and enter again fterm (without
 disconnecting the modem.
 If the characters you type appear twice use <diamond>e

Do not expect to be able to do the same than with a normal
computer. I tried to use lynx, but althought the connections
were Ok it was impossible to move around a page.

I suppose some good programmer may make an small terminal
emulator. A good thing would be to have a capture key to
capture what appears to a text, and a good mapping of the
TI92 keys to the usual codes. And a real 80x24 characters
screen (very small, of course)