Re: TI-H: 9600 modem???

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: 9600 modem???

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Robin, Jim, & Eric Barker wrote:

> Does anyone what the cheepest, smallest, workable, 9600bps modem is?
> Can I get one for around $40 or less?  Would it be worth it to modify my
> old teleport?  Does anyone out there even have an old modem they might
> give to me, even if it's lower than 9600?

Of course, any modem which supports >=9600 baud should work (i.e 9600,
14.4, 28.8, 33.6). Additionally, any modem which supports a DTE rate
of 9600 should also work - i.e. any 2400 baud modem that supports v.42bis
compression. These should be very cheap when you can find them (<$20).
Note that normal 2400 baud modems (or those supporting only MNP5
compression) will probably not work.

> Is there anyway to hook up a laptop internal modem (are there any that
> are 9600?  Maybe even put it inside the calc?  Thanks

This is doubtful - internal modems for portable computers rarely follow
any sort of standard (with the exception of PC Card modems - which are
unusable anyways).

-Isaac

<pre>
--