Re: TI-H: 0.1 capticitor

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: 0.1 capticitor

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996 21:09:49 -0500 (EST), you wrote:
>On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, becker wrote:
>
>> I have been wondering for months where to find a smaller cap, and I
>> recently realised that something that small may actually overclock the
>> TI-85.  If you wan those speeds, just take out c9 and leave it empty.
>
>I just read a book that explained why just taking it out works (I've=20
>heard discussion and confusion about this).  Anyway, here's an ascii of=20
>an RC circuit, and it'll explain everything:
>
>in o--------resistor-----+-----o out
>                    capacitor
>                       ground
>that's straight from the book :)

Yes, this is a classic RC network.  If it's actually how the timing is
setup in the TI, then it's impossible to go any faster than just
leaving out the capacitor, because the various components and
connections all have their own input capacitance.  HOWEVER, if you
were to find out where that resistor is, replacing it with a smaller
value will speed it up even more.  Eventually you will get to a point
where the chip just isn't fast enough and you may even damage the
processor.

This is speculation, however, because no one is sure whether this is
how the clock is setup in the TI-85.  It could be totally different
from an RC network.  Nonetheless, this isn't how a well made computer
circuit is done.  It's just the cheap way out because they don't need
exact timing.

-Mel

<pre>
--