Re: TI-H: RF/IR-link protocol

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: RF/IR-link protocol

A.K.A. TheWiz wrote:

>   Perhaps the most compatible (and _simplest_:):):) way to do any sort of
> a link is to work it so it's identical in function to a direct-wire
> connection - we don't have to use any sort of special protocol, so that
> anything using the regular link will work with this one as well.
>   Of course, the question is: how?
>
>   The answer has already been stated on this list.  Use two different
> frequencies of light/radio, one for the red wire, one for the white wire.
> Whatever comm system any program sets up will work.
>   Just to clarify:  The regular TI-OS sends a bit by pulling one of the
> wires low; the red is a 1 and the white is a 0 (it might be backward...),
> and the remote calculator confirms by pulling the other wire low,
> whereupon both go high again, calc #1 first, and the process repeats.
>   Probably some game programs just send data in serial or along a clock;
> the RAM expander, for example, uses one wire (I think it's red) as a clock
> to regulate transmission, while the other wire modulates it both ways.
>   In other words, anything else, and the calculator's own OS can't handle
> data transmission - which means RAM backups can't be sent, because the
> program would overwrite itself!  (The normal system is in ROM) - and all
> existing programs would have to be re-written, to be more complex, more
> buggy, and bigger.
>
>   So something like a "wireless extension cord" is our best bet.  Just
> thought I'd mention this, before we go off on a tangent.
>
>                      /***********************************
>                      *           Daniel Knapp           *
>                      *       FeatherWate Software       *
>                      *     email: dankna@bergen.org     *
>                      *                                  *
>                      *      Whose account this is,      *
>                      *         I think I know.          *
>                      * The sysop is in Berkely, though. *
>                      * She will not see me typing here, *
>                      *        To watch this Mac         *
>                      *          Refuse to go.           *
>                      ***********************************/

Thank you, that is the best explanation from anyone.  I've said twice
what the protocol is.  To climb a ladder, you start at the bottom.  To
build an RT/RF link, stazrt at the bottom, with a simple circuit that
puts the R wire on one set frequency, the W wire on one set frequency.
Onve we get the basics down, then it can be expanded(distance,
wavelengths, etc.)
By teh way, I would do this  myself, but I know little about electricity
and circuits, much less in conjunction with radio waves.  i'm just
suggesting my favorite and possible way.  Way to go for the person/people
who get these links working.  I'd be somewhat willing to make software
for this, but ...we don't really need it.  If we set it up simply, we can
test it with regular TI-os transmissions and zpong for example.

<pre>
--
Compliments of: