Re: TI-H: ti-turbo

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: ti-turbo

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Alan Bailey wrote:

> > >Then why does it say 6MHz on ti.calc.org
> > >-don't mean to be an ass, just wondering....
> >
> > The Z80 is a 6Mhz chip, but there is a speed limiting capacitor on the
> > processor that slows it down to 1Mhz.
>
> The top speed is not 6 mhz.  That is what ti put it at so it doesn't blow
> up or smoke.  When you turbo it, the c9 capacitor is taken out, which
> allows the processor to be run at a faster speed (18-20 i think), you
> could probably run it even faster somehow, but your calc would probably
> melt because of the heat. :( That's not what TI had in mind.

As far as I know, the 6 Mhz speed is simply the rating on the chip. The
actual speed at which the Z80 runs is variable according to battery power,
and may indeed only be 1 or 2 Mhz most of the time. The fact is, no one
outside of TI knows. The only thing that is known (that TI has verified)
is that the chips used in the TI-82 and TI-85 are rated at 6 Mhz (4 Mhz in
the TI-81).

I hope this clears up some confusion.

-Isaac

<pre>