Re: TI-H: AC adaptor

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: AC adaptor

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996 19:42:16 -0500, you wrote:

>>Let's stop the flames people, or at least move them to e-mail.  The
>>facts are, a 6-volt adapter generally make the screen too dark, a 4.5
>>volt adapter works better.
>
>Any idea why?  Since, in theory, 6v -is- whats coming out of the batteries at
>peak voltage, why would 4.5 be better?  I mean, not that I'm saying you're
>wrong, but I'm curious.

Think about ohms law, V=R*I.  If the calculator is, say for example,
equivalent to a 60 ohm resistor, the current draw would be 100ma if
it's outputting 6V.  For argument's sake, however, let's say that the
batteries can't give you all 100ma.  Maybe they can only give out
50ma, and the screen isn't quite as dark.  Now, the AC adaptor can
easily source 100ma at 6V, so the screen is quite a bit darker at the
same voltage.

My numbers are way off, but I believe that's what's happening.

-Mel

--
The TI Memory Expansion Homepage
http://pilot.msu.edu/user/tsaimelv/expander.htm