ti-emu: Update to Virtual 86, and important notice for emulator programm

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ti-emu: Update to Virtual 86, and important notice for emulator programmers

Ok, first the update news.  Virtual 86 (formerly TI-86 Virtual) has hit
version 1.3 Beta. The key points on the upgrade are: New direct to emulator
uploading, and a pretty much fully optimized assembly core.

This version is pretty much fully incompatible with previous versions, in
command-line parameters and .STA files. It still has bugs with the .STA
saves also.

The assembly core is pretty much fully optimized, and as far as I know,
excluding radical re-design, it won't get any faster.

Now, the IMPORTANT NOTICE.  This applies to all the emulator programmers, or
emulator programmer wanna-be's.  Virtual 86 will be going OPEN-SOURCE as of
version 1.4!  This means it will be come a collaborative effort towards a
better product.  Release specifications will be based on GNU, but not
totally. (GNU requires CPU independance, where as V86 is completely 80x86
dependant)

The output given by Virtual 86, and input are already GNU compliant, and I'm
working on the code to get it compliant.  The release is expected to happen
sometime in the early summer. (Depends on how much free time I'll have)

I'm also looking into getting a site specificly hosted by TI-calc.org in
order to organize the collaborative effort. (To prevent splinter programs,
and such)  The code will be based on DJGPP standard C, and uses AT&T format
Assembly.  This is compliant with most GCC compilers for Unix, so Virtual 86
should be easy to maintain on both platforms.

Anyways, sorry to take up all your mail space if you don't care about this
stuff, but if you are interested in seriously helping please contact me by
ICQ.  My UIN is 1478626, if ICQ is unavailable, please just e-mail me nad
let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Daniel Foesch