[TIB] Re: TI-83 Basic Stumper

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[TIB] Re: TI-83 Basic Stumper

Just thought I'd throw in another 2 cents' worth of
clarification on the problem, since this thread seems to
be devolving rapidly into tricks with Output.

--You wrote:

> You have to be sure that there are at least two lines of
> text already, but that shouldn't be a problem.
>
> BTW, In your version Disp "" (without spaces) works too.
> It'll only scroll, won't overwrite text you OUTPUTted, but
> there shouldn't be any, anyway.
>
> Rob v. Wijk

"That shouldn't be a problem"?!?  You perhaps expect dialogue
like the following...

  (Player: Hit the orc!)
  YOU HIT THE ORC.
  (Player: Get the gold!)
  LA LA LA LA... SCROLL...
  YOU GET THE 85   GP.
  (Player: Quit!)

--You wrote:
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 15:10:30 +0200 (MEST)
>
> Otherwise, Romman's idea (with my improvement) is probably best.
> Your [Robert's] trick with the regression is very original, but IMHO not
practical.

> Rob van Wijk

I agree that Robert Mohr's trick is very original, and not terribly
practical in a production game, but I re-iterate that IT SEEMS TO BE
THE ONLY CORRECT SOLUTION SUBMITTED THUS FAR.  (I don't really "get"
the Omnicalc idea, but it sounds like it involves including a big
library with every game, which is also fairly impractical in an
industry populated mostly by grade-school students and involving
27K memories.)  I repeat, ROBERT'S IDEA WORKS!  NOBODY ELSE'S DOES!
Therefore, it's the only solution that I would consider a candidate
for inclusion in a good Basic program.

Robert's code, again, looks basically like this:
  {0,1->L1:{0,G->L2
  LinReg(ax+b) L1,L2,Y1
  Equ>String(Y1,Str1
  sub(Str1,1,length(Str1)-3)->Str1
  Disp "YOU GET THE "+Str1+" GP."

Please consider my objections to the Disp and Output tricks BEFORE
submitting any more variations on them!  Thanks...

-Arthur