[TIB] Re: Equations for TI-89 RPG

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[TIB] Re: Equations for TI-89 RPG

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a go and see how it works.

---------- The Fishy One's Infinite Wisdom #19: "Gasoline, firecrackers, and
bored youth don't mix." New Wisdom Every Week! >From: "Arthur J. O'Dwyer"
>Subject:[TIB] Re: Equations for TI-89 RPG >Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:48:30
-0400 (EDT) >>>>Matthew: >>For "Rogue", I used the following equations,
whichdon't really >apply to attribute-based systems as well, but are easy to
code. >These equations were not designed for realism, but for playability
>and small size. >>First, the player gains Experience by killing monsters:
>Exp = number of experience points >Experience Level = iPart( cube root of
(1+ 2/3 (Exp)) ) >so that Level increases slowly with Exp. Then the player's
chance >of a hit increases with his experience level, of course; and I >also
decided to make hits more likely as the player's HP decreased. >This means
that "epic battles", where the player loses a lot of HP, >become more
likely.>Chance of miss = 1/2 * (1 + (HP/MHP)*(0.05+0.65*e^(-Level/8)) )
>Then(on the TI-83, at least), if (rand <Ans), that's a miss, and >if (rand
>=Ans), that's a hit. >Hit damages (which is really what you asked about)
arecalculated >in "Rogue" just like in D&D, where each weapon type has a
damage >die associated with it (daggers are 1d4, swords are 2d5, whatever).
>(I don't worry about modifying the damage based on the monster's >armour
class, since the player won't really notice anyway.) >>For damage to the
player, I do worry about armour class. A monster's >chance to hit the player
is calculated like this: >Chance of miss = 1 / sqrt(Monster HP) >That means
as the player does damage to the monster, the monster gets >more and more
disoriented until it can no longer hit the player reliably. >It also means
that Dragons with 100 HP will almost always hit the player. >Then damage is
calculated as: >Damage = e^(-AC/8) * MonsterDamage >where MonsterDamage is
again a damage-dice roll (2d4, 3d12, whatever). >The first term in the
equation is the armour class modifier, where AC >is the player's armour
classfrom 0 (no armour) to around 10 (I think >8 is the highest AC possible
in the game at the moment). >>If you are really interested in good RPG
equations, check out the source >code to some computer RPGs. I don't think
Diablo is open source, but >there are a lot of games out there: Nethack
(www.nethack.org), Angband >(www.thangorodrim.net), and, of course, the
original Rogue itself >(www.win.tue.nl/~kroisos/rogue/index.html). I believe
all of these >games use the D&D stat system, which has STR, INT, DEX, WIS,
CON, and >CHR values, although I'm not sure about Rogue. >>Happy hacking!
>>-Arthur >>On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, Listar wrote: >>>ti-basic Digest Sat, 24
Aug2002 Volume: 02 Issue: 052 >>From: "Matthew Waters" >>Subject: [TIB]
Equasions for TI-89 RPG >>Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:26:06 -0500 >>>>I'm
making a version of the original Final Fantasy for the 89, and am having >>a
bit of trouble getting good, balanced equasions for calculating DMG, both
>>physical and magical, and for both the player and enemies. The stat system
>>works the same way as Diablo I, with STR, DEX, VIT, and MAG values. You
also >>get 5 points to distribute per lvl up, just like in Diablo. >>>>If
anyone has any experience making BASIC RPGs from scratch, please give me