TIB: TI-89 Basic question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TIB: TI-89 Basic question

ok, im writing a small program (pasted at the end of this email), which all
it does is, given 2 sets of points, calculates the slope, solves for b, and
puts the equation into y=mx+b form (with y and x remaining as variables, and
m being replaced with the slope as a fraction, and b being replaced by the
value it was solved for).
and the part of it that finds the slope works fine. however, converting it
into y=mx+b is another story. if I input into the program 2 (for x), 3 (for
y), 7 (for xx, or x2 if you will) and 7 (for yy, or y2), it gives me a slope
of "4/5" (which is correct), but for the 2nd part, transforming it into
y=mx+b form (and ive tried it just solving for b, and displaying that, so
that isnt the problem), it says "y=(b+mx=3)"". what it should say in that
case is "y=4/5x+7/5" (i believe i did that math out right. in any event, you
get the idea). anyone know why it isn't displaying the y=mx+b part anywhere
near right?

(ok, program is below) (the » is the store key by the way) (oh, and the final
display equation says "y=mx+c", but it's just c because that's what i stored
the answer for "b" as. as i said above, it should say y=[num]x+[num], whith
[num] being a number and the other variables just displaying themself)

()
Prgm
Prompt x,y,xx,yy
(yy-y)/(xx-x)»m