Re: TIB: Re: Announcement!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Re: Announcement!

Because I'm a pig headed arrogant SOb, let me defend my opinion. I
have never done any VB, but have looked at some source and the
beginner book from Micro$oft press. To me it seems nearly as easy as
QBASIC or BASICA (Did that in grade school too) but you can do a lot
more with it. So, why not just learn a language that you can and will
probably *use*

Just remember, I didn't tell people *not* to program in basic, but
said that if you wanted to do anything usefull in todays world, it
wouldn't be enough...

Philipp Keller

><< Qbasic came free with DOS and can be found on the windows 95
CD-ROM.
> It's pretty much obsolete if you actually wanna program anything
> usefull. Of course you could have fun programming useless programs
but
> you're time would be better spent learning a "real" programming
> language. >>
>
>I think I have to disagree with your opinion of BASIC. We must all
remember
>what BASIC stands for in the first place. (Beginners All-purpose
Symbolic
>Instructional Code for those of you who have never studied computer
history)
>Basic was designed to TEACH people how to program. I first learned
BASIC in
>first grade. I don't think I would be half as interested in
programming if I
>hadn't had that experience. (Anyone else remeber the Apple IIe? Damn,
I miss
>those things)
>    Sure, for modern programmers, Basic is pretty crappy, but for
those kids
>out there who want to get their foot in the door, Basic is the best
teaching
>tool ever. If you already have a TI calc. then don't waste your time
(unless
>you are spending $40+ on AAA bateries)
>    So... Write your local congressman. Make him require a
fundimental