Re: TIB: Digital Assignment Book: CAN IT BE DONE?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Digital Assignment Book: CAN IT BE DONE?

The endless debate on what is the best way to program, from the top
down or from the bottom up?

If you know you will need certain features in the end, it is probably
a better idea, IMHO, to put them in at the beginning and incorporate
them right away when programming. Otherwise you find yourself
constantly rewriting the same code with infinite little variations. So
this would correspond to the 'top down' method.

The bottom up method would be to write the program, then add the stuff
you want, change little stuf here and there...

Personnaly, I usually use the 'bottom up' method unless I know exactly
what I want when i start writing the prog(in any language). For me,
that doesn't happen often, but it seems to be the case here.

You will save more time in the long run if, before you even start
coding, you figure out exactly what you are going to do (and make sure
it is possible). Figure out how to store the data, how it will be
accessed and modified by the user, how customizable everything will
be, what subroutines you will need, etc.

Philipp Keller