TIB: Digital Assignment Book: CAN IT BE DONE?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TIB: Digital Assignment Book: CAN IT BE DONE?

------------
BEGIN MESSAGE HERE
REPLY TO:  SDSW@usa.net

PROGRAM IDEA:
DIGITAL ASSIGNMENT BOOK:  FOR THE TI-83
"Keep track of ALL your assignments.  Never again hand homework in late or
forget about a test/quiz/assignment!"

ABOUT/DESCRIPTION:
This is what I have in mind:
On the main screen, you choose from a list of 6 (hopefully more) classes:
[CLASS]   [ASSIGNMENTS PENDING] [EARLIEST DUE DATE]  [GRADE]
1. History          7                                        2/14/99
89.3
2. English          3                                        2/15/99
98.9
3. Math              2                                        2/18/99
84.8
4. Science          5                                        2/19/99
74.3
5. Latin              8                                        2/11/99
91.0
6. OTHER         2                                        2/31/99
86.1

Then, you are asked to choose a from a list of types of assignments:
WHAT IS THE ASSIGNMENT TYPE:
1. homework
2. quiz
3. test,
4. oral report
5. research paper
6. essay
7. lab
8. other

Next you then input a name (used as the identifying description) for the
assignment and the respective due date.

All the  assignment are stored in the order of their respective due date.

If possible, there should be, built into the program:
A calendar: keep track of long term assignments visually. (I already have a
TI-Basic program- for the 83!)
A date to calendar day:  Help remember the weekday of the assignment due.  (I
have two, very good, versions in TI-BASIC. Again, both are for the TI-83)
A gradebook:  keep track of the grades for each of the classed. (I already
have an outstanding program written in TI-BASIC for the TI82.  However, I have
ported this program to the TI-83)

NOW, THE CHALLENGE!
That's a very rough draft of what the program should have...I am sure there
are many others on the ti-basic and ti-assembly mailing lists who are
interested/have attempted to make such a program.  Before we begin coding, we
must ask the public for what their dream digital assignment book should have.

I personally have attempted, with my very limited knowledge of ti-basic, to
make the program described above.  However, the file quickly reached about
4,000 bytes - with little end in sight.  I am aware that programs written in
Assembly are much more efficient and compact - and most importantly this
programming language provides the means for a better graphical user interface.

With all that in mind perhaps it would be best to approach the programming of
this revolutionary program using ASM.

As those who are daily readers of this message board know, I have absolutely
NO knowledge of ASM, so I am not qualified to do any programming.  I do,
however, have many ideas for this program, and I have a personal goal of
owning a copy of this program by January 1, 2000 (yes - it really is that
close to the millennium!).

If approached and done correctly, this program has unlimited potential for
success.  Demographically, the overwhelming majority of TI83 (and TI82 users -
the calculators are fairly compatible) are high school/college students.
Remember:  ALL students have assignments!  Just by the very nature of the
calculator's users, this program already has an outstandingly large user base
(hmm…exactly how many TI83/82 calculators exist?! Thousands?  Millions?)

With the complexity of such a program, and the problem of code efficiently and
size, the best approach to completing this program is to do so via a
collective project, by the most elite programmers.  Only through co-operative
programming can we write this program in a reasonable amount of time, and
create a program like non-other!

I am willing to organize a group  (excuse the lack of better noun) of
programmers with similar interests, and most importantly advanced programming
capability.

I AM CALLING ON EVERY PROGRAMMER WITH ASM ABILITY, AND INTEREST IN THIS
PROJECT, TO EMAIL ME [SDSW@usa.net] AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Let's work together, and create the best, most useful, program ever written
for the TI83/82

Please send all emails directly (and promptly) to:
SDSW@usa.net.

If you are interested in seeing such a program, but are not capable of
personally taking part in the writing part of the project, please help by
distributing this message to message
boards/discussions/webpages/newsletters/etc.

Note:  www.ticalc.org is THE portal site for TI-Programming...let's try to
spead this message to that site!

Remember:  The more programmers who are aware of this project, the sooner this
program will be completed!

END MESSAGE