Re: TIB: hellooo?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: hellooo?

In a message dated 10/30/1998 5:27:05 PM Mountain Standard Time,
thouse@tk7.net writes:

<< >Who told you?  That was supposed to be a secret.  j/k.  I want there to be
 >anticipation.  If I told you, you might begin working on the same idea.
 Then,
 >I would have compitition.  Yours might be better than mine, so I would
 loose
 >all that time into making the game.  After a while, I would get fed up with
 it
 >and try to better yours.  I would steel your idea and add it with my idea
 and
 >the game would be awesome.  But by then, everybody would be sick of the
 game,
 >so I would have just lost all that time.  Of course, if I started working
 on
 >all the time, I could get it done before everybody got sick of it, but I
 would
 >lose my friends, family, pets, etc.  After that, I would go insane because
 of
 >loneliness.  I would make up jokes forever such as: Don't hit a man with
 >glasses..................................................use something
 bigger
 >and harder.  Then, my life would be complete and I would be a washed up bum
 >looking for change in gutters in the sewers and what not.  So you see, if I
 >had compitition, I might give up on the idea right away, thinking that
 >somebody else will just be better than me.
 >
 >Dan

 First of all, I'm already working on a program for the TI-92 Plus (I'm not
 sure what you're using).  It's an expandable RPG.  I began work on it long
 before it came up in the program ideas section (there are two suggestions in
 there for such a game).  The basic premise is using a "skeleton" engine that
 reads external files to progress through the storyline.  I am not afraid of
 letting people know that it is under development because more than likely,
 they'll think "Hmm.. someone's already working on that game.  I think I'll
 try something else" rather that "Heh, heh, heh... I'm gonna steal his idea
 and come out with the same type of game sooner."  If someone wants to take
 my idea (which I later found out I was not the only one to think of), then
 that's fine.  When there are two of the same types of programs, the user can
 pick which one he prefers.  Maybe one will be faster that the other, but the
 other maybe looks better.  You see, it's not a matter of who comes out with
 the better program first, its about which one the user thinks is better.
 Never worry about people becoming "sick of a game."  There will almost
 always be some newbie logging onto ticalc and finding dozens of programs
 he/she's never seen before and go "Wow," while all the regulars here say
 "Oh, that old program.  Sheesh.. it's been out for months."  And another
 point about getting sick of games:  always make them replayable.  The same
 game over and over is boring.  That's why an expandable RPG will stick
 around for a while.  No matter how many of them are out there, you can
 always get an expansion for one of them, or make your own.  Get with a
 friend and create one as a group.  My whole point (I think) is that
 programming should be done for the programming, not for the competition.  I
 will now step off my soapbox and get back to TI-BASIC....  Does anyone else
 out there use a TI-92 Plus?

Well said.  You have made up my mind.  I will tell everybody what it is.  I am
working on Paintball 86.  The first version will be basic, but will be asm
after that.  I know that being a team is the best, so could anybody who is
interested help me.  I am known in credits as Dan alone or Dan & Dan
Productions.  Has anybody ever heard of these?  I would really like some feed
back on the programs that are out there, such as Lites Out v1.0 (Dan & Dan
Productions, about to be 2.0), Basic Commands (Dan), or RadRedus v1.0 (Dan &
Dan Productions).  Please email me back personally if you have feedback.  I
really need to know if anybody uses these for themselves as games or programs
or as a good source.  Anyway, would anybody like to join a group with me.  Not
one that makes one or two games, but that makes a lot of good games.

On a basic not, is it possible to do make a string and change the letter of
one of the letters in that string?

example:

"abc"->a
sub(a,2,1->b
"l"->sub(a,2,1

so that the letter b would be 'b'.  Then, could you change that to 'l' for
example, so you would have "alc" as a?  I need to know for a text scrambler.