Re: TIB: Naming format

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Naming format

TGaArdvark@aol.com wrote:
> > On my 85/86 programs, I have my subprograms begin with
> > lowercase x or y (x for general routines I share between
> > progs, y for ones specific to a program), and I rename all
> > the assembly programs I download to start with a lowercase
> > z.  All my real programs all start with an uppercase letter,
> > which puts them first.  I realize this doesn't work as well on
> > calcs that don't have lowercase, but I just thought I'd throw
> > in my $.02.
> >
> > With that said, if I had realized I could use theta (and that
> > it would put it at the very end of the program list) when I
> > first started programming, I would use it instead.  But now
> > that I have my own standard, it's kinda hard to break.
> > :) In general, though, using theta for subprograms is a
> > smart (and fairly common) practice.
>
> On the 85/6 I name my basic programs in all caps and my
> asm programs in all lowercase.  This is also a fairly common
> standard.  As for subprograms, I have never and will never
> ever use them.  They are too annoying and can be easily
> worked around without any bloating by a good programmer.

   A couple of things. It own a TI-86, by the way. First of all, I
like all of my real programs to have an upper case letter like they
were a proper noun, which they are, so I use the Variable Manager
program, released a few days ago, to rename all of my programs like
"mario", "monopoly", "solytare",etc. to "Mario", "Monopoly",
"Solytare", etc. It looks much nicer in a shell.  I know you can do
this with Rascall, but I like ASE better so I use that. I also rename
all levels for things like Super Mario Brothers and Orzunoid to
lowercase so they will be at the end of the program names menu.
Another thing I don't like is programs named in all capital letters.
   I don't really like subprograms that much either, but I found that
it saved a lot of space in one of my progams, List Statistics, which
should be on ticalc.org in a week or two. I used S.T.L.'s trick of
naming it a letter with an accent, and I called it "A" with a pointy
accent over it (accent circumflex if you know French). I have tried
transmitting it to my calculator nad have no trouble with it.
   But if you don't like subprograms and you do like ASE 1.3, I have
discovered a very useful trick. If you hide a program in Rascall
(storing it to the "About" tab or highliting the program and pressing
delete), then that program will not appear in ASE at all. So by using
Rascall to hide programs and ASE as your regular shell, you can have
five program categories AND hidden programs. The best of both world.
This means that you can hide your subprograms and not have to worry
about them. Of course, you might not have the space to keep Rascall on
your calculator, but then just transmit it when you need it and then
delete. I wrote a BASIC program that allowed you to execute the
Orzunoid levels from the one program and then hid all of the levels.
   Whew, that was a lot to say. That's my $0.02, plus tax.

==
Da Cajun Cheetah
Cajun_Cheetah@yahoo.com
I live in da Big Easy!
Laissez les bon temps roulez à Franklin!