Re: TIB: Does ANYBODY know how to make an alpha based RPG?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Does ANYBODY know how to make an alpha based RPG?

In a message dated 11/13/98 6:05:25 PM Central Standard Time, Tatsuo64@aol.com
writes:

> 	How do I make a scrollable background for a text-graphics RPG?  I know it
> has
>  something to do with matrices.
>  Enough with the court TV stuff!
>  :)
>  Tatsuo
You could use matrices; to do so you would need to assign a number to each
character and then have an x and y variable for the top left corner of a
screen.  You could then use a loop to display the rows and cols of the screen.
This is, however, agonizingly slow.  A much better method would be (if you
have an 85 or better) to make strings containing the characters.  You still
have the x and y variable, but here you could use indirection to choose the
string and substring commands to remove a portion the length of the screen.
This is tedious unless you use indirection (89 or better) but is certainly the
fastest way to go, even without indirection.  Another thing to consider is
that this takes up almost the same amount of space as a matrix would.  If you
need more help or want some code, just tell me what you want and for which
calc.
Paul J Chase II