Re: TIB: Re: TI-Basic Digest V1 #244

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Re: TI-Basic Digest V1 #244

> sorry but going infinite velocity in 1 second away from the earth and
> then going infinite velocity in 1 second back to the earth would have
> not only brought you to the other side of earth, but you would have
> died, the timeline would have a huge hole in it from being in more than
> one place at any given time within that second, and all the people
> living on earth would have aged infinitely.  The world would have
> evolved, slowed down, the sun dead, and who knows what else.
>
> the person who said oo-oo=oo is correct, but in terms of time changing
> due to speed the time would be the squareroot of a negative number.  The
> person "riding" in the "ship" going that fast would be in the imaginary
> space.

I don't follow your logic on that one.  As you approach the speed of light,
time slows down, but you are significantly past the speed of light at oo.
Time would not be going slower for you than those around you.  In fact,
the limit as your speed approaches lightspeed from a higher magnitude
is -oo.  In other words, when you're above the speed of light, time is
going in reverse.  Slowing down toward the speed of light will make time
go in reverse faster.  If you assume the graph is symmetrical to the point
at which x is the speed of light and y is equal to the speed of time at
rest (which it almost surely is), time would progress NORMALLY for
a body moving infinantly fast.  One second for it is no different for a body
at rest.  You would just have to make sure that your acceleration
and de-acceleration is instantaneous, which would have to be true
if you were ever to move at a truly infinant velocity.

Also, oo-oo is definitely not infinity... necessarily.  It's undefined. Just
like oo*0 is just as likely to be 3 as it is to be infinity or 0.