Re: TIB: weighted dice

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: weighted dice

TGaArdvark@aol.com wrote:

> The easiest way I would see to weight a dice roll would be like this:
>
> :rand->x
> :6->y
> :y-(x<.8)->y
> :y-(x<.62)->y
> :y-(x<.45)->y
> :y-(x<.29)->y
> :y-(x<.14)->y
>
> y contains the dice face, 1-6, with 6 chosen 1.35x as often as 1.
>
> I had the routine run itself 1000 times and keep a tally of the results.

A good method, I use it often too.
In this case though, you should note that the precise numbers are:
3=16% 5=18% 6=20%. These are the intervals that you gave in your
program.

While this is not a flashy mathematical formula, it does the job with
the feature of being able to make your own adjustments easily (like the
list example that I commented on earlier), and as said earlier, the
machine is powerful enough to use this without significant loss of time.

> 1=14% 2=15% 3=17% 4=17% 5=19% 6=18%
> Close enough. Only 4% different.
>
> Since u971168@daimi.aau.dk (Rene Kragh Pedersen) didn't have
> the decency to take his flames to personal e-mail instead of flooding
> this list, I did.

Tell me about these flames. What did I say?
They are in your head, nowhere else.
You were the one to come and tell me what I had replied to and what I
hadn't. If you want to play omniscient I suggest you take it elsewhere.

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen
man: Why did you get a divorce?