Re: TIB: Storing text on the 86

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Storing text on the 86

 >     Hi, I've been reading with interest the discussions about
  > creating phone books, etc. for the TI calcs and have been trying
  > to figure out how and where text strings would be saved on the
  > 86.  I have been unable to save text to a list.  I have tried
  > saving my name for example to a variable (that works) and then
  > saving the variable to a list (enhh (buzzer sound), try again).
  > I've tried to write a word directly into a list, no go.  If text
  > doesn't go into a list, then where?
  >     I don't need a whole program, per se, just a simple segment
  > to play around with.  Then again, maybe that simple segment must
  > be a short program.  I've tried to find answers in the manual but
  > got nowhere.  Am I just making a simple mistake or simply making
  > wrong assumptions about what can and cannot be done?  Is there a
  > faq page that will explain my specific questions?  (Your
  > answering "yes" to this last question ain't gonna work.  I need
  > to know specifically where it is and what to search for.  Every
  > time I look for faq pages, I get a lot of irrelevant info, mostly
  > because I am defining my search wrong, I suspect.)  Thanks for
  > your help--D
 There really isn't any good way to turn a string into a list, but if you
insist you might try assigning a number to each letter and storing lists of
integers.  I wouldn't recommend this approach.  It would be much easier if you
just used strings.  When you saved your name to a variable you created a
string.  From there, you can do anything with it that you normally do with
text.  For example
:"Paul Chase"->name
:disp name
will print Paul Chase.
If you want to put 2 strings together, do this:
:"Paul "->first
:"Chase"->last
:disp first+last
There's a lot of other things you can do to the strings, but they're all in
the manual, p. 226.
If you want a list of strings, buy a 92.  I'm pretty sure that that's
impossible on the 86.  And no, I don't know of any FAQ pages to help; I hope
this is what you need.

Paul Chase II

 "They little knew of brotherhood
     -The faith of fighting men-