Re: TIB: HAL

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: HAL

At 09:59 PM 2/6/98 -0700, Grant Stockly wrote:
_________________ Begin Quoted Text _________________
>Yes.  I'd rather have a complex computer that took twice as long to run a
>program than a computer taht did the same thing using reduced code...
>
>Haha...very funny.  Risc means that it can do the same operations with
>reduced instructions.
_________________  End Quoted Text  _________________

RISC - Reduced Instruction Set Computer. The idea that by reducing the number of instructions available, it will free up more overhead for actual compiling and processing of the instructions. On the other side of the coin, it means that to do the same task a CISC does in one instruction, a RISC must use multiple instructions.

CISC - Complex Instruction Set Computer. The idea that a machine with more instructions and complexity can perform more tasks with less direction (read code or instructions), and thereby becoming more efficient and much faster.

Ok, here are two URLs for some very hardcore looks at both RISC and CISC (read very technical). The first just lists differences pretty much, but the second does alot of actual testing on multiple processors showing the x86 CISC architecture to be faster than RISC.

Now, I've never been a big believer in statistics and benchmarks because they are so subjective in that they may only look at certain aspects of a system. Most of the time, these aspects are not representative of the true nature of the machine. A good example is dot pitch. A major selling point for monitors. The dot pitch when applied to shadow mask with holes, is different than when applied to shadow mask with slots, which is also different from aperture grille, but everything is advertised as .25 or .26 or .28 etc.. But I digress, take the info in the following two links with as many grains of salt as you wish.

http://apiitg30.apiit.edu.my/~hf960903/CS/

http://www.amd-embedded.com/Benchmarks/whyx86.htm

Leif Gregory
ldgregory@biogate.com

http://www.0rdernet.com/Warped_Realities/
(2D/3D Graphics, electronics, TI85, and a mirror for the
Hardware Book, the largest collection of pinouts and cable diagrams).

Join the Cool Info Mailing List (tips, tricks, shortcuts, and other really interesting information). Send an email to the above address with the words "Subscribe CIML" (without the quotes) as the first line in the body of the message. If you would like to try it out before signing up, same procedure but with with the words "Get CIML 8".

Follow-Ups: References: