TIB: "Programmer friendly"

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TIB: "Programmer friendly"

> Yuck! How can you read those "programmer friendly" displays. Take,
> for instance, put the extra space in between certain things. That
> drives me bonkers! Whenever I look through the code, I keep thinking
> that I forgot something. I also have trouble looking at indentations
> as helpful. As far as I'm concerned they make things more confusing.
> This is probably just because calculators are the only things I've
> programmed and my brain is trained into looking at the next line
> right under the last.
>
> Jody Snider
> jody1@alaska.net

"Programer friendly" displays are very useful, especially when you are
working with subroutines and a lot of multi-lined statements.  However,
indenting can get in the way as well.  Keep in mind how many letters the
calculator screen can show in one line.  Indenting everything will make
it harder to read commands from the calculator than it would be if
nothing were indented.  Even then, it is still better to have some parts
indented while editing.

I suggest keeping two copies of the program you are working on.  Edit
the first one, using indentation, easily understood names, and
subprograms.  Make the other one the optimized copy, balancing speed and
size over readability after you know that your program and its parts
work, and updating it only after finishing the first.  Make it more like
manually 'compiling' your program, for lack of a better term.

Tavis