Re: TIB: Back to TI-BASICs

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Back to TI-BASICs

Rene Kragh Pedersen wrote:

> Tavis Segura wrote:
> >
> > I would like to ask each of you about your personal style of writing
> > programs.  If you had a choice to do both,
>
> We do! :-)
>
> > would you prefer writing
> > everything in a single program, or have several programs for your
> > subroutines?
>
> It all depends on the program. The more complex the program, the more
> likely I'll split it up.
>
> > Which do you think game players would prefer?
>
> I don't know, but hey, if they don't like it they can do it themselves.
> :-)
>
> > Which is more important, the program's size, its speed, how easy the
> > program is to read, or how it affects the rest of the calc?
>
> First and foremost: Efficiency!
>
> If I can make the program a certain percentage faster by sacrificing a
> lesser percentage of extra space taken, I'll do it.
> I always make my programs easy to read. I indent when I use If's, For's,
> you-know-the-drill, I use saying variable names, I sometimes use
> comments (mostly if I know I might want to change something later), and
> I happily sacrifice the extra byte here and there to make some room
> between different parts of a program (read: I press return when I don't
> have to :-)
> You can take most of my programs and chop of a lot of space by using
> smaller variable names, cutting comments, indents, etc, but the speed
> will remain the same.
>
> I also make a principle out of not messing with people's calcs (if I
> change anything, the program will restore it when finished)
>
> [...]
>
> --
>           Rene Kragh Pedersen
> man: Why did you get a divorce?
> man:: Too many arguments.

Yuck! How can you read those "programmer friendly" displays. Take, for
instance, put the extra space in between certain things. That drives
me bonkers! Whenever I look through the code, I keep thinking that I
forgot something. I also have trouble looking at indentations as
helpful. As far as I'm concerned they make things more confusing. This
is probably just because calculators are the only things I've
programmed and my brain is trained into looking at the next line right
under the last.

Jody Snider
jody1@alaska.net

Follow-Ups: References: