Re: TIB: reading code

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: reading code

Jody wrote:

> How many of you out there find it useful to look through other
> people's code? Both for looking for ways to simplify specific lines,
> but also for understanding the big picture - understanding just what
> exactly the calc is doing. I find that I get hopelessly confused if I
> haven't actually written the program. I can make things _incredibly_
> complicated (sometimes to much so!) but, as long as I wrote it, it
> makes perfect sense. Several different sites on the net recommend
> studying other people's code to help learn, but I don't think that
> that would help anybody that is like me. How many other people are
> like this?

I rarely look through other people's code. When I do, it is here at the
computer science department, and we support the basic rule that variable
names should hint their function in the name alone.
Makes it a whole lot easier.
If I see someone who has coded using A,B,C,D etc... I give up right
away. I simply don't consider it worthwhile to try and decipher what the
different variable names stand for.

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen
man: Why did you get a divorce?