Re: TIB: Back to TI-BASICs

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Back to TI-BASICs

Thanks for all the info.  Let's see if I got this straight:

The majority of you have a preference towards a "SINGLE PROGRAM!!!"
(-quoted from- TGaArdvark) in the final program, but suggest subroutines
in various cases, like when you edit a program (PJChaser), when you
share subroutines with other programs (Jody Snider & Rosyna), or for a
slight speed advantage (Turbosoft & Jody) over large programs.

Nearly all of you also mentioned the program's size over the other
choices as a priority.  Christopher MacDougald, I think you might be
implying it as well when you mentioned the reduction of matrices and
your use of 'Repeat's.  In that topic, the majority was not afraid to
give make the program hard to read in order to optimize for size, but
mentioned that it could be done after the program works properly (PJC).
starting subroutines with unusual characters whenever necessary
(Turbosoft), and restoring the original vars, like the viewing window,
at the end (Jody).

--
> I would like to ask each of you about your personal style of writing
> programs.  If you had a choice to do both, would you prefer writing
> everything in a single program, or have several programs for your
> subroutines?  Which do you think game players would prefer?

I myself preferred to have a single program unless I could share
routines in a suite of programs, like sharing programs that adjust the
graph screen, or making compatible utility programs that extend
functionality.

Game players, IMO, would prefer having a single program control the
entire game, to make it easy to copy, download it to the calc, or remove
(in case a better program comes along).  Would they want program names
to fill up the the Programs menu and make searching for particular
progrmas difficult.

> Which is more important, the program's size, its speed, how easy the
> program is to read, or how it affects the rest of the calc?  I'd
> like your opinion about this and what you think makes for 'good'
> TI-BASIC programming.

I weigh size above the others, allowing some flexibility for
customization and variety.  Speed is a must for some parts, but if the
improvement is barely noticible, I would opt for a smaller program.  I
like programs that can (ideally) RESTORE EVERYTHING in a calc.  Since
that is not always possible, temporary vars are named with a single
letter and reduced in size, if possible.  TI-92s, should localize
everything that should not be kept when the program is not in use.

Readmes please!  And don't name them all 'readme'!  If people are
creative enough to write a game, they are creative enough to create a
name that indicates the file it describes.  If you must include
information in the program, keep it as brief as possible, maybe just
mentioning some controls briefly, and keep them easy to guess anyway.

Tavis