Re: TIB: TI-85 Basic

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: TI-85 Basic

> Anyone know why some programs get bigger when they
> are tokenized? Just wonderin'

Hehe, I just posted this like 2 weeks ago.  I quote myself:

Tokenization is not for size as much as it is for speed and ease
of programming (programming for TI, not you).  It does change
all of the commands to one or two byte tokens, which saves
memory, is faster to interpret, and is easier to write an
interpreter for.  It also adds tokens to the front of numbers and
variables so that the interpreter can more easily understand
them and doesn't have to spend time deciphering between
them and commands.  This is probably what cost the extra
few bytes.  If you have a lot of math expressions in your program,
it will be larger tokenized.  A few commands always end up larger
because of the types of arguments they use (like der1()).  Most
commands used in games end up slightly smaller.