SD: Networking - tell me about it

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SD: Networking - tell me about it

Shell developers and hardware designers,

Has a networking system and protocol been created for the TI calcs? If not,
I have a bit of an idea, but it will need all of your help for its
realization.

For the hardware, there are two options. Either a server system, or a hub.

The server option would be like a memory expander with a few link ports, but
having a chip controlling traffic with a command buffer, acting much like a
multi-port dial up server. I believe this option would have less work in
terms of the software side of things, as it would interact with the calc
much in the same way as the memory expander.

The second option would be to actually have a 'network' using addresses.
This would have a hub, much like an ethernet hub, or like a Gameboy
multi-tap (remember those things?); or it could use a daisy-chain method,
using special transceivers. This option would require more in the ways of
software, as it would require a completely different os or shell, or at
least a major patch to the ti-os's linking section. Game's would also have
to be changed to send different commands to the link port, but we would be
able to play real multi-player games.

Just a few ideas. Tell me about the reality of these ideas. Note that I am
sending this to both shell-developers, and ti-hardware, so you may want to
send responses to both. thanx

--
M   M IIIII TTTTT  CCC  H   H  OOO
MM MM   I     T   C   C H   H O   O

"Guitar picks, yeah, those make great fingernail cleaners, screwdrivers, and
percussion sounds in your vacuum cleaner, just in case you didn't know."  -
anonymous