Re: SD: RE: New operating system...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SD: RE: New operating system...

But I'm not talking about just another SHELL.  I'm mainly talking about
the TI-86 when I talk about a new OS.  I have no idea how OS's on other
cals work, or what they are like to deal with.

In terms of the TI-86, i'm saying we kick out the TI-OS and implement a
new one that is talored to more flexable access to system resources....
such as paged memory and the block of ram permanently located in the
highest 16K block.  Shells do not give you any added flexability in
dealing with this sort of stuff.  Also I want an OS that can load a
program anywhere in memory.  I realize that in order to implement this,
that the programmer will have to implement "OS-specific" accomidations
in the source code.  But I consider this to be easily worth rewritting
the OS.  If you can load any program where you want to, then you can
load multible programs in ram at the same time, and time-share between
the two.  And if you come up with a "minemal" API, then a windowing,
system can be implemented.  Or at least a full-screen "task switching"
system.  With 128Kbytes, something has to be done that goes further than
what is currently avialable.

Later,

David E. West