Re: SD: Shells and games (READ THIS ALSO!)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SD: Shells and games (READ THIS ALSO!)

READ THIS A SECOND TIME!!!READ THIS A SECOND TIME!!!READ THIS A SECOND
TIME!!!READ THIS A SECOND TIME!!!

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:51:11 -0700 Dang <cdang@laedu.lalc.k12.ca.us>
writes:
>READ THIS ALSO!READ THIS ALSO!READ THIS ALSO!READ THIS ALSO!READ THIS
>>	I understand that there are too many shells for the TI-85's
>now
>>and not enough games.  When there are 5 shells and 15 games and each
>>shell only has 3 games that is not very good.
>True...
>>  I am NOT attacking the shell programers, in fact I am glad that
>there
>is an option >between shells now.

>Whew...

Glad you understand (so people dont't)

>>	I am asking for one last shell, one that allows all of the
>new
>>features such as relocation, APD, contrast control, and libraries(BUT
>IS
>>NOT USED IN THE BASE SHELL).

>This sounds like SuperNova...AND USGard.   Both SuperNova and USGard
>are
>similar enough to have these features (except we're working on a
>"better"
>library system...)
>>	I ask everyone who writes shells to work as a GROUP on this
>Working together is not a problem...getting it to work is.  I mention
>again, SuperNova and USGard tried talking together back in June, but
>we
>faced some problems:
>
>	1.  Different time zone.  Without ICQ, IRC, or other "chat"
>exchange of
>ideas are SLOW.
>

>	2.  Difficult to decide upon a single standard.  Both the
>SuperNova team
>and USGard team realize that the "competitor's" library format was
>better
>in some ways, but it didn't matter to each team.  Our libraries take
>up
>more space, but make it easier for programmers to use.  USGard's
>libraries are more efficient and take up less space, but make it more
>difficult for programmers to use.  The point is, the USGard Team
>placed
>its emphasis on size while the SuperNova Team placed emphasis on
>allowing
>more "freedom" for programmers.

OK, so the programming is different for each but the game quality still
remains,  but the biggest trick is how to do libs in a organized and easy
to use fashion (good luck if you saw the problems with usgard's first
release)

>>-          If the TI-85 was an egg, it couldn't hatch because it
>would
>
>>have to many shells!
>

>Heh..that's good.   Many people are talking about having one shell.
>That's BAD.

This I agree with, BUT, It should be the shells advantages and not the
games it supports, I will play the games I like no matter the shell, yet
if 2 shells support the same game I will use the better.

> Competition between operating systems forces shell makers
>do more that they believe they can.  When we were first approached by
>Jimmy Mardell about making "Automatic Program_Address," we saw that
>the
>idea was excellent but did not believe that it was possible on the
>TI85
>and did not really persue it much.  But when USGard proved it was
>possible, we sat down and rethought everything.  Now we understand how
>do it, (based on our own work and not from "borrowing")

GREAT POINT....EVERYONE READ THIS,  Make the shells themselves better not
the number of games supported,  if you want a awesome shells that looks
great and is less annoying BE READY TO LOSE SOME SPACE...Anygame ever
made SHOULD RUN UNDER ANY SHELL.<PERIOD>

>We ALREADY had the system of one operating system and that was called
>ZShell.  No one liked that (if you do, then why are you arguing, all
>new
>OSes have ZShell-backward-compatibility)  Multiple shells must exist.
>

>I, <underline>unofficially</underline>, believe that programmers
>should
>do one of two things:
>
>	1.  Program in the ZShell standard.
>
>	2.  Program in the USGard standard.
>

>Am I saying USGard is better than SuperNova by supporting USGard?  Of
>course not.  I use SuperNova on my calculator.  BUT, USGard programs
>should be easily "ported" over to SuperNova AND objectively, USGard
>gives
>the "features" everyone is calling for.

So you guys will work with the Usgard people to get the games on both
systems while improving and optimizing each of your respective shells?
If so great, if not explain.  I would rather see a shell war between the
shells and not how many games they can screw the end users out of!!!!!

>Alan Dang
>
>Nova Coders
>
>ps.  Yes!  Don't worry!  Our web page will be up soon.  The SuperNova
>information will be updated, and it will also contain information on
>our
>new project (it's for the IBM PC)

Glad to hear it.

-GreenLazer@juno.com
-     "I hate a Roman named Status Quo."  -Ray Bradbury
-          If the TI-85 was an egg, it couldn't hatch because it would
have to many shells!

Follow-Ups: References: