Re: SD: Basic shells

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SD: Basic shells

At 08:39 PM 11/24/97 -0500, you wrote:

><< You would have to use draw routines or something like that, and if it
>could
> ever be done, it would probably be larger than an asm GUI  ;) >>
>
>how come some basic GUIs look a lot better than some assembly ones then?  if
>they are so small and quick why not just model them after some popular
>software like Windows 95 instead of just a listing of programs on the
>calculator?

I think what you are referring to are the Aurora program that somebody made
for the 83 and 86.  This is NOT a basic program but is really an ASM
program with some icons that represent other ASM programs that you can run
from there.  Most people prefer straight-forward programs that just have a
title with no icon, since icons just take up precious space that could be
used for other purposes.  Also, shells would just get larger if programmers
incorporated icons into their programs or shells.  As it has been
previously been stated, you just can't have a Basic GUI that would work.
Also, Win95 was designed around a mouse type of interface.  I personally
would NEVER use a shell that required my mouse, and the arrow keys are a
really crude substitute for a mouse pointer.  So, you are basically cut
down to a simple interface that does the same thing as current shells (use
the arrows to select a program and then press enter).  Although the look
might be different, you would have the same basic ideas in the shell as in
plain shells.  Since most people would be concerned about space and
compatibility, they would choose a smaller, plainer shell over a Win95-like
shell.  Just my opinion.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org

  Spam-Fighter code is:  14806560   (New technique to fighting spam)
  Enter "Spam-Fighter:  XXXXXXXX" in the body of a personal message
  to thruska@tir.com.  Otherwise the message will be filtered as spam.